Tuesday, November 29, 2011

So what is a DirtyGirl? ;)

Back when first trying to decided what to name my jewelry creations I kept coming across the same thing...the diamonds I was using were considered "dirty", meaning they were flawed.  They weren't the VVS or VS that you'd pay thousands of dollars for.  I mean lets face it, with the economy the way it is, why would you want to spend that kind of money on a diamond when you can spend less on the diamond and more on other things.  And the more and more I looked at these "dirty" diamonds, the more and more I saw the beauty in their flaws.  I remember the first one I ever bought....it was a stunning olive green almost opaque 2 carat round solitaire.  It had slight red splashes in it and the more and more I looked at it, the more depth I saw.  And it hit me...the flaws in the diamond were just like the flaws in myself.  My struggles with my weight, my monthly breakouts, my gray hairs that keep poking out randomly, my over talking...all the little things that maybe I don't particularly like about myself but all the things that make me up and make me different from everyone else.  And I saw that in reality, it is the flaws in the diamonds that make it so beautiful in it's own way, and therefore the flaws in me that make me beautiful in my own way.  So if the diamond is "dirty" then I guess I'm a "dirty" girl.   And from that was born DirtyGirlDiamonds. 
I admit that I do love that beautiful crisp, clear, colorless and nearly flawless diamond too but I still love the unique and flawed.  When I work with my suppliers on getting my stones I look for the ones that maybe no one else wants, the ones they consider too flawed.  And those are the ones I go after.  I can get them at better prices that way too.  One of my most favorite finds that I recently made into a pendant is the 1.95 carat rose cut chocolate diamond that I made into "Intoxicating Chocolate" pendant  (http://www.etsy.com/listing/84761838/enrapture-intoxicating-chocolate-genuine).  This diamond just amazes me.  It has yellow, gold, orange, deep brown, tan, white...so much uniqueness packed into one stone.  So many things that by a grading standard would be flaws, that make such an amazing stone.  Which is also why we say:  Unique...Like You!
So that is what a DirtyGirl is :)  And that is why I love what I do.  I hope you'll celebrate with me the things that make us unique...our flaws...and be a DirtyGirl (or DirtyBoy ;) too!

2 comments:

  1. This very beautiful post. You have a talent for writing as well as making jewelry.

    We are all flawed and yet all perfectly beautiful at our core...our Soul. One of the challenges of life is to change those of our flaws that need changed so that we become better people. Some can be recognized and discarded, others cut and polished like one of your rough diamonds, and some simply need to accepted...this is who we are. We must learn to love ourselves, flaws and all. Very lovely post. Good luck with your creations and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much :) I know have some people that I know that honestly believe they have no flaws. I jokingly call them CZ's, sure they might look perfect but when it comes down to it...they are fake. I like my friends like my diamonds, honest and real with their flaws. :) I appreciate the comment and plan on keeping up with it and hope it grows and developes as does my jewelry. - B

    ReplyDelete