Tuesday, December 20, 2011

These are a few of my favorite things....

At the show this weekend I had lots of questions asked of me...how do I make these, where do I get my stones, how can I charge so little for them...but my favorite question of all was what is my favorite stones?

Right at this very moment, I have three that I am in love with.  Of course diamonds (and not just for the reasons that one might assume) would be my first.  My second and third are a tie at moonstone and labradorite.

So diamonds to start with.  I love the colors you can see in them when you really, really look closely.  A cut diamond has such amazing depth to it and the more you look, the more you see.  Rough diamonds are the same way...it is just harder to see the depth, you really are look more at the outer details.  I am kind of funny in the sense that I have good eyes and can spot flaws pretty easily in stones.  I am not the type of person to sit there and say...ew, that one has a carbon fleck right there on the side...but I am the type to sit there and think wow, look at that little tiny speck of carbon that managed to stay as carbon while the rest of it was being changed into a diamond.  A hairline crack on the face of a stone is just another little detail that I find amazing.  With diamond being the hardest stone, how on earth did it get that?  (a glimpse into the way my mind works)

Moonstone and labradorite just fascinate me.  Moonstone being so light in color yet flashing blues, reds, yellows and greens similar to the way an opal does is just so lovely.  Like capturing a rainbow in a rock.  And I'm amazed that unlike the opal, sometimes you really have to move the stone around and work to find those colors.  Labradorite is to me like a moonstones alter ego.  Dark and gray yet the same flashes are there.  Most look like butterfly wings up close...iridescences with veins that give it an almost life like appearance.  I am a lover of all things dark so this one is a natural for me...and as I type this I have on two labradorite rings (one I made, one a "gift" from a supplier) and a pair of earrings that I made.  I also have to admit one of the things about both of these stones that get me is that photographing them is very hard...you can't always capture their true beauty.  I feel that way about myself too and really don't like being photographed because I never feel I look the way I see myself in photos.  I see all the things I am not fond of in them, and feel that seeing me in person is completely different. 

Just as examples of these stones...here is one that I just made not that long ago and just got listed (for diamond)  http://www.etsy.com/listing/89028697/captured-love-hope-floats-genuine-05
This necklace sold but it features both moonstone and labradorite...

2 comments:

  1. The resin looks like it is working out well.

    Your thoughts on being photographed are on the same vein as mine. I always look and think gee is that me, I never realized I look that bad. Of course I have also been known to walk through Macy's and spy this ugly looking bastard heading my way, and think good God look at that dude, and then realize that it is me in one of mirrors they mount on the building columns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so in love with the resins!! And now that I've learned how to do it the next batch should be even better :)
    It is funny because I love taking pictures. And I love looking at other peoples pictures...just not mine. Partially because of the damn baby weight that won't seem to budge, partially because of chicken pox scars that I can see but some people have said they've never noticed (I know they are there though), etc etc etc. LOL But my new year's resolution this year is to like myself more. :)

    ReplyDelete